Monday, December 8, 2008

Still Got It

The holidays are upon us and last night it was evident.  I stayed up watching movies on the Netflix realizing I was slowing transitioning into a state of easy relaxation.  It has been months since I have really enjoyed a good flick or stayed up till darkness was once again conquered by the light of day.  Needless to say I really enjoyed it and best of all I was able to enjoy it with my wonderful wife.The funny thing is I enjoy watching horror movies and my wife not so much.  My wife was studying statistics for the following days final exam and I was lounging on the sofa and decided to watch John Carpenters The Thing.  As the movie progressed and my loved one tired of studying she decided to join me for a good scare!  Good scare indeed, we approached a tense scene in which the protagonist played by Kurt Russell has devised a technique for determining if humans were indeed humans.  The process involved taking blood cultures from all inhabitants of the Antarctic research facility and providing some sort of "threat" and this "threat" would trigger a survival response from the alien organism.As one by one blood sample were tested the tension built upon itself.  Co-workers became continuously uneasy as one by one their counterparts were cleared and indeed deemed human.  Until, unexpectedly a blood culture reacts violently to the test and triggers the "survival" response of the alien organism.  When that happens I jump out of my seat and my wife screams at the top of her lungs.  Mind you that it is roughly 0230 hrs and neighbors are sound asleep.  We laughed so hard together I wanted to cry.......
All in all after the movie was done I really enjoyed it.  The Thing is still an excellent movie regardless of its release year of 1982.  Movies are still fun as ever to watch and I am looking forward to many of these similar experiences with my beloved wife.  Long live the survival horror genre!



No comments: